Wednesday, December 31, 2014

"You Have Entered The Twilight Zone..."

It has been a whirlwind holiday season with many ups and downs.  Rather than focusing on the downs, I'm clinging tightly to the ups.  Romeyn and I have taken most of the "holiday stretch" (the weeks of Christmas and New Year's Eves) as vacation time.  Given recent developments and our proclivity to soldier on regardless of what is going on otherwise, the time off is a god-send.  I've officially reached the point of Vacation Brain (repeated brainless moments for which I do not need to apologize...extravagances, to be sure).

My little collection of musical instruments has grown this season!  Hammered dulcimer, acoustic/electric bass guitar, and a nose whistle (yes, that's a thing).  I'm so excited.  I'm a little bummed that I managed to break a string while tuning the guitar, but new strings are quickly en route.  My plan is to learn bass riffs so that I have the excuse to play mostly melody (not rhythm).  My plan for the hammered dulcimer is to accompany Romeyn so that we can play together for things like the annual Camp Party.   Oooh, and let's not forget the book of Daniel Nahmod rock-hymns just waiting to be learned.

My new (Introvert-friendly) project is this:  I am going to create homemade wings for our Christmas tree topper.  It was an angel a few years ago, but one of our former kitties made short work of the wings (real feathers made for an irresistible target).  My in-laws gave me a nice mold-making set so I have some options for wing creation.  Wax?  Would that be too much in the vein of alternative mythologies?  Clay would be too heavy (even with epoxy to seal 'em onto the topper...the topper is pretty light and might break with the load).  I do have a fair amount of foam-backed poster board and heavy grade construction paper.  In any case, the planning has commenced!

Many thanks to all who have made this season easier to navigate through weather alternatively fair and inclement.  I have the best friends and family a person could want, totally sensitive to the contrary whims of fate and the impacts felt by their resident Introvert.  Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment